Tan is sexy! However, a lot of people end up being frustrated because of the need to be under the scorching heat of the sun for hours to be baked and browned!
Thankfully, with the best tanning lotion for men, you do not have to make things any complicated! Designed with the skin needs of men in mind, these lotions can effectively speed up tanning while protecting the skin from the harmful rays of the sun and artificial sources that can cause cancer!
Ready to start your search for men’s tanning lotion? Read on and learn from some of our recommendations.
Top Tanning Lotions for Men 2021
Our team spent hours of thorough research to come up with a list of high-quality tanning lotions that are specifically formulated for men.
Millennium Tanning Products Solid Black Bronzer
It has exceptional consistency and feel that is different from your usual lotion. It is packed with ultra-advanced 100x silicone bronzer, which will allow the results to be quicker than most of its competitors. It also features auto-darkening tan technology for enhanced effectiveness. To add, you no longer have to think about skin dryness as it is rich with natural ingredients that can keep the skin moisturized.
Devoted Creations H.I.M. Titanium Bronzer
This tanning lotion has a lightweight formula, so you won’t feel sticky and greasy after its application. There is also tattoo and color-fade protection, providing an assurance that your ink will stay bright and beautiful as you get bronzed. Meanwhile, it also has deodorizing properties to help keep you smelling fresh. Lastly, it has avocado extracts, which can effectively combat red pigments as a result of being burned from tanning.
Australian Gold G Gentlemen Natural Bronzer
The distinct smell of this bronzer is sure to captivate your attention, which has fragrances from orange, moss, patchouli, cedarwood, bergamot, and germanium. The main ingredient used as the base is coconut water, which is also known for the hydration it provides the skin. Meanwhile, with CellActive Complex, it helps the skin of men to be more resilient while being able to effectively lock-in moisture as well. It also has tattoo-fade protection.
Millennium Tanning Paint It Black 50X
With 50 times auto-darkening tan technology, you can expect that this is more powerful than most of the competitors. It features extreme silicone emulsion blend, which uses carefully-selected ingredients to make the skin smooth, soft, and moisturized. The cotton blossom fragrance, meanwhile, gives it a subtle scent that is not as overpowering as other tanning lotions.
Devoted Creations Camo King Black Bronzing Lotion
More than just tanning, this lotion is also effective for its anti-aging benefits. It has RevitaFit and advanced Matrixyl Synthe 6, which have been both exclusively developed to make the skin firmer. It also has potent antioxidants to nourish the health of the skin aside from bronzing. Meanwhile, it has FreshTrek technology, which gives it natural deodorizing properties. Lastly, there is also PhloreTan, which can be effective in correcting dark spots.
Playboy For Men Ultra Dark Maximizer Tanning Lotion
This dark tanning lotion comes with a fast-absorbing formula, allowing it to take effect shortly after its application. It features Tattoo Color Shield, which will prevent your ink from fading even with frequent use of this product. It also has skin hydrating benefits, which will make you look moisturized even when tan.
ThermaLabs Organic Self-Tan Lotion for Traveling
Regardless of how white your skin is, the manufacturer claims that this sunless tanning lotion will be effective. Within just four hours after the application, you can immediately notice a sun-kissed glow. It has Vitamin E and Pro-Vitamin B5, which will be both great for healthy skin. With aloe, on the other hand, it can deliver moisturizing benefits. If you are unhappy with the results, let the manufacturer know and they will issue an unconditional refund.
Super Smoke Black Bronzer
This product features the innovative oxygen regenerating tanning system. It has a potent formula to make sure of its effectiveness in darkening your skin tone without the need to wait for a long time. It also has antioxidants and trace minerals. As for the fragrance, the smell will remind you of mango, passionfruit, and pineapple, which will be reminiscent of summer!
Devoted Creations Couture Sport Extreme Tanning Serum Lotion
With the unique serum formula of this tanning lotion, it is non-greasy. It utilizes a combination of pomegranate, acai, and tea tree oils, which all have protective elements to prevent environmental skin damage. It also has extreme tan enhancers, which are responsible for providing the darkest tan that is possible. Meanwhile, the ingredient list also includes ordanone, which gets rid of tanning odor. It also has matrixyl, which is great for preventing skin aging.
California Tann HD Mann Tanning Lotion
This is the second part of the three-step tanning system that has been exclusively developed by California Tann. It is packed with what the company calls Quartus Decimus (14) mega-boosted bronzing agents, which will significantly speed up the process of tanning. It also features HD Tanning Technology to assure even skin tone and absence of dark patches. Lastly, with Energen Complex, it allows the skin of men to be smooth and free of imperfections.
How to Choose the Men’s Tanning Lotion
To make it easier to come up with the right decision, below are some of the most important factors that you have to take into consideration.
- Ingredients: Look at the ingredients that are used, especially the major ones. Research about them to make sure that they won’t cause skin irritation. It is better if it uses natural ingredients compared to harsh chemicals.
- Skin Type: Your skin type will also have an impact on the tanning lotion to pick. For instance, if you have sensitive skin, be sure that it won’t irritate the skin. Meanwhile, if you have dry skin, pay attention to the ability of the tanning lotion to provide moisturizing benefits.
- Sun Protection: Especially if you are choosing a lotion that is to be used outdoors, pay attention to the sun protection that it provides. At a minimum, it should have SPF 15 to protect the skin from the harsh rays of the sun that can cause cancer.
Indoor vs Outdoor Tanning Lotions
When looking for tanning lotions for men, one of the first things that you will notice is that they are generally grouped into two – indoor and outdoor tanning lotions.
Those that are classified as indoor tanning lotions are meant to be used for tanning beds. Those for outdoor use, on the other hand, usually has added sunscreen, usually SPF 15, which will protect the skin from the sun. Both have protection from UV rays, including those from artificial sources.
Types of Indoor Tanning Lotions for Men
Most of the tanning lotions that we have mentioned in this post are formulated for indoor use. They can be classified as follows:
- Bronzer: It is often added to tanning lotions to increase their ability to darken the skin. Most manufacturers will blatantly state the level of the bronzer present in their lotion through figures like 20x or 50x. The higher the number is, the more bronzers are present.
- Accelerator: If you have fair skin, this is the perfect choice for a tanning lotion. It is also great if you are just starting in the tanning world. It contains moisturizers, which will be a great way to hydrate the skin.
- Maximizer: This is a step-two tanning lotion. It is advisable to use this once you have achieved a base tan. Unlike the accelerators, this does not contain a high number of moisturizing agents.
- Tingle: Tanning usually has several steps, and this lotion is often applied at the third step. It works by increasing blood circulation, which can effectively darken the skin tone. If you are tanning for the first time, avoid this as it can cause a burning sensation.
- Coolant: It is simply the opposite of tingle. Instead of producing a burning sensation, this will deliver a cooling effect. It has cooling agents that will allow the skin to relax after a tanning session.
The Dangers of Tanning
Gentlemen, a word of caution – tanning can be dangerous. There are risks that are involved, especially if you do not do it right or if you choose the wrong products. For this reason, always be mindful about the lotion that you will be using. Keep an eye on our recommendations above to have peace of mind.
- Cancer: Several past studies support the statement that indoor or outdoor tanning exposes the skin to harsh elements that are cancer-causing. This can be derived from the harsh ultraviolet rays of the sun and artificial sources, like tanning beds.
- Eye Damage: It can also result in a condition that is technically known as photokeratitis or sunburn of the cornea. This can happen because of extreme exposure to harmful rays.
- Actinic or Solar Keratoses: Actinic keratoses is the initial stage of skin cancer, which makes it a serious condition. Long-term exposure to sunlight is one of its leading causes.
Tips for Achieving the Perfect Tan
Before we end this post, allow us to leave you with effective and practical tips on how to successfully get a tan without damaging your skin:
- Shave before you get a tan. Men are known for being hairy, so getting rid of the hair can help to ensure even tanning. Otherwise, body hair can interfere.
- Pay attention to the duration of exposure. If you are just starting out, 10 to 15 minutes under the sun will be enough. You should not be exposed for more than two hours. For tanning beds, it is best to do it about 10 to 15 minutes per session, three times a week.
- Always wear sunglasses or any other form of protection for the eyes as it can be severely damaged by the UV rays.
- Scrub your body before you go for a tan. Exfoliating dead skin cells will help to have even color. This also prevents skin peeling after tanning.
- Keep hydrated. If you do not drink water frequently during the process of tanning, there is a risk of dehydration and other health problems.
So, if you are one of those guys who has always wanted to have a darker complexion, use the tanning lotions that we have listed above! Your golden skin will make you look more attractive without worries of skin cancer.