Forget the outdoor sun-kissed dark tone you attain during summer.
You can now achieve the darkest tan possible, whenever you need it, thanks to technology and indoor tanning sessions.
But which is the best indoor tanning lotion, and what do you need to consider before buying?
Below we provide a detailed guide and review of the best indoor tanning lotions.
Let's get started.
1. Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion
- Ultra-Darkening Skin Hydrating Intensifier: Contains coconut milk,...
- Tattoo Fade Protecting Formula: Helps prolong the life and radiance of...
- Quad Tyrosine Blend & Melano Bronze: Stimulates and increases melanin...
- Coconut Paradise Fragrance: An intoxicating light coconut fragrance...
- Ed Hardy tanning products are part of the Tanovations company. The Ed...
This is the best indoor tanning lotion that's inspired by the beach and designed to leave a tropical coconut scent after your indoor tanning session.
Designed to avoid staining and streaking, this lotion doesn't use bronzing agents.
This tanning lotion acts as a maximizer and will deepen fading tans over time, thanks to the Quad Tyrosine Blend + MelanoBronze™.
This indoor tanning lotion is infused with Tattoo & Color Fade Protector to provide a natural tan as well as protect your skin.
Also, it works well for people with a tattoo.
- It's a deep moisturizer
- Doesn't stain or streak the hands
- Good for people with tattoo
- Protects the skin
- Some people find the scent too strong
2. Australian Gold Jwoww Black Bronzer Dark Tanning Lotion
- Jwoww Black Bronzer Indoor Tanning Bed Lotion
- 13.5 ounce bottle
- Black Currant Oil, sunflower oil, and Kukui Nut Oil
- Natural Bronzers
- Fragrance: Berry
Among the best indoor tanning lotion, it's the perfect lotion for dry skin.
Australian Gold Jwoww is a maximizer with a bronzer to make sure you achieve a dark and deep tan after the first application.
The hemp seed oil, as the main ingredient, nourishes and hydrates your skin and the outcome is glowing and supple skin after each session.
Though it has great benefits, it's not recommended for first-timers or those without a base tan as may feel too intense.
- No burning smell after the tanning session
- Has a non-greasy feeling
- It's streak-free
- Moderately scented
- Not the best for a base tan
- Not recommended for starters as it may be too intense
3. Brown Sugar Black Chocolate Coconut Cream 200X Bronzer
- 200X Black Bronzers are artisan crafted for your darkest tan yet
- Double Dark Chocolate & Argan extracts nourish your tan with potent...
- Triple Coconut Cocktail & Max Silicones melt into skin for an...
- Paraben-Free, DHA-Free
This is among the best tanning bed lotion that will give the desired dark shade, thanks to its 200x levels of bronzer.
This bronzer tanning lotion is made of dark chocolate extracts with silicone and butter blends. It's designed as an accelerator to increase your body's natural melanin production.
Among the best attribute of this product is that it will give your body sufficient hydration until your next appointment at the tanning salon.
Something you need to remember is to wipe off excess lotion from your soles and palms because of the strong bronzer.
Also, apply the tanning lotion even on the strokes for increased and better skin absorption.
- The scent remains on your skin
- No streaks
- Not tested on animals
- The color may be too intense for first-timers
- There are chances of staining because of the bottle design
4. Australian Gold, CHEEKY BROWN Accelerator Dark Natural Bronzers, Tanning Bed Lotion 8.5 oz
- The No. 1 dark tanning lotion Now with Bronzer!
- Native Australian oils, Vitamins A and E create a skin-hydrating...
- For Indoor and Outdoor Use
- Fragrance: Cocoadreams
- 8.5 oz
Looking for a skin-hydrating formula that guarantees an optimum tanning experience? The Australian Gold, CHEEKY BROWN Accelerator is an excellent choice.
Infused with caramel and henna and blended with Beta Carotene, this formula is made to deliver flawless and instant bronzed perfection. It contains Vitamin A and E and original Australian oils which are great for healthy skin.
It also contains herbal DNA for maximum moisture retention and skin-friendly anti-oxidants for a sun-kissed glow.
This accelerator and bronzer will level your skin smooth, protected, and dark.
- Immediate dark color results
- Good at nourishing and moisturizing the skin
- It's a streak-free formula
- Great for soothing and softening the skin
- An amazing CocoaDreams fragrance
- Great product for first-timers
- Some people may not love the scent
5. Supre - Snooki Ultra Dark 70X Black Bronzer w/ Skin Firm & Toning - 12 fl oz
- 70X Black Bronzing Blend of Black Walnut, Henna and DHA allows skin to...
- HyperDark Tanning technology immediately prepares your skin for deep,...
- Vitamin enriched skin conditioner blend helps skin fight against...
- Advanced Skin Firming blend helps to smooth and improve skin’s...
Snooki Ultra Dark 70X Black Bronzer will give you the darkest tan possible. This is courtesy of DHA, black walnut, and henna.
With the HyperDark™ Tanning technology, your body is immediately prepared for a rich, deep golden tone.
To achieve a healthier and radiant glow, this formula is infused with a vitamin-enriched skin conditioner to help the body fight against environmental stress.
This Ultra Dark 70X Black Bronzer utilizes Advanced Skin Firming blend to improve the texture of the skin for a toned and smooth appearance.
The sweet almond and coconut oil ensure a moisturized and silky skin, giving you more confidence.
- It's paraben-free
- Moisturizes, tones, and softens the skin
- Delivers the darkest tan possible
- Skin firming to enhance skin texture
- An amazing fragrance
- There are cheaper options
- Not the best for sensitive skin
- Quite thick and this may make the application process harder for some
Buyers Guide When Choosing Tanning Bed Lotions
1. Type of Tanning Bed Lotion
Indoor tanning lotions are available in different types and features. A such you should choose a product that best suits your tanning needs.
- Tingle and hot action tanning bed lotions
This is an indoor tanning lotion that uses heat to increase blood circulation in the skin. This stimulates melanin production to darken your tan.
This lotion may cause tingling and redness, thus not best for people with sensitive skin. It's ideal for people with experience using tanning beds.
- Bronzer tanning bed lotions
If you are looking for the best tanning lotion that is rated with a number to indicate how dark you can get, then Bronze tanning bed lotions should be your choice.
A higher number on the rating means you'll achieve a darker tan.
It is designed to deliver instant color to your skin, deepening it into a darker glow.
- Accelerator tanning bed lotions
These are types of tanning lotions that help hydrate your skin and ensure it remains moisturized. With this, you'll be able to achieve tanning easily.
This lotion is best if you are tanning indoors for the first time or tanning after a long break.
- Coolant tanning bed lotions
This type of coolant body lotions offers a cool and refreshing when applied to the skin.
You'll love the experience with these types of tanning lotion if you plan to be on the tanning bed over an extended period.
- Maximizer tanning bed lotions
These are designed to give you a deep and rich tan after developing a base tan.
If you are regularly tan indoors, this is a good option.
2. Application area
While most tanning lotions can help you achieve a deep, even tone, most are application area specific. That said, tanning bed lotions for the face are lighter and non-greasy to prevent pores clogging and cause breakouts and acne.
However, lotions for tanning beds used for the body have richer formulas and are heavier.
Therefore when buying indoor tanning lotions make sure they match up with the body parts you'll be applying.
Since skin sensitivity differs from one person to another, you want to choose a tanning lotion that won't leave your skin scarred or burned.
If you have sensitive skin or are new to indoor tanning it is important to protect your skin against burns. To do this, choose a formula that is SPF 8 or lower.
With this, you'll protect your skin as you develop that sun-kissed dark glow.
4. Indoor Tanning Lotions Consistency
The tanning process is likely to be messy when you're using lighter lotions.
But thicker tanning lotions are easy to apply as they are not runny and not likely to create a mess.
So, don't forget to check the consistency before making a purchase.
5. Scent of the Indoor Tanning Lotion
Tanning body lotions come in different fragrances from pineapple notes to coconut. You can also find floral fragrances.
For the best tanning experience, you want to choose a lotion that appeals to your smell. You'll be more relaxed and patient to achieve dark tanning.
6. Tanning Process Period
Some indoor tanning sessions take over 6 hours to achieve a dark glow but the best formula should allow you to develop your desired dark color in 4 to 6 hours.
If you want to try a tan for the first time you want shorter sessions with mild lotions.
7. The Cost of the Tanning Bed Lotion
Different tanning formulas are priced differently.
For instance, the price range of the tingle and hot action formulas is $13 to $60, and that of the coolant lotions ranges from $10 to $35.
You'll pay between $7 and $60 for Bronzer lotions and about $15 to $45 for Maximizer indoor tanning lotions.
Although the price is important, you shouldn't sacrifice the quality for money. You want the best tanning experience within your budget and with the many options, you'll get the ideal product.
Just take time to do your research and compare different products.
8. Skin Type
Before choosing from the best indoor tanning lotions, take note of your skin concerns and sensitivity.
Since tanning is extremely dehydrating, you want to choose the type of lotion that can accommodate your skin type. Without proper moisturization and taking precautions tanning can accelerate the development of fine lines and wrinkles.
Therefore, if you have extremely sensitive skin, you want to select the right lotion for tanning that contains firming and anti-aging properties. With added oils and nourishing extracts, you can be sure of soft and smooth skin.
Something else, you cannot go wrong with natural ingredients such as coconut oil.
If it's your first time and you aren't sure of your skin's sensitivity, avoid lotions with tingling ingredients. Most people state that such lotions make the process uncomfortable and sometimes too painful to bear.
Assess your tolerance by applying a patch of your skin and determine whether it's something you want.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What tanning bed lotion gets you the darkest?
While there are many tanning bed lotions that will make you the darkest, our best picks are Millennium Tanning Products: Dark Tanning Lotion and Ed Hardy Coconut Kisses Golden Tanning Lotion.
You should check the product description to know the extent of dark color you can achieve
2. Do tanning bed lotions really work?
Yes, they do. A research conducted by the American Tanning Institute revealed that dry skin reflects away 50% of the UV rays during the tanning process.
Therefore, with the right and best tanning bed lotion for your skin, you'll take half the time to achieve a dark tone.
3. Do you tan better in a tanning bed with or without lotion?
With tanning bed lotion or not, you'll achieve a tan. However, with the lotion, the process is more efficient and takes a shorter time to develop a healthy glow.
A hydrated skin before tanning assures you of the best results.
That's why we recommend the use of indoor tanning lotion.
4. What should I put on my skin before tanning bed?
You want to prepare your body thoroughly before the tanning process.
Besides the indoor tanning lotions, you should shave, shower, and exfoliate. Exfoliation is crucial as it helps prepare your skin. The good thing is, you don't have to go for a deep exfoliation if you've little time.
Bath tuff or brush during shower works fine in exfoliating your skin.
You should also use apply a moisturizer before starting the tanning process.
This prep stage should be a day or two before tanning.
5. What is the recommended number of sessions to develop a base with a tanning body lotion?
Most people are able to develop a perfect base tan after 5 or 6 sessions.
However, if you are too fair, it can take you 10 sessions to achieve the desired base tan.
6. Are Eye Protection Goggles Important During Tanning?
Before you start your tanning sessions, the technician provides protection googles. These goggles are important as they are designed to protect the sensitive skin around your eyes.
So if you plan to have indoor tanning acquiring these goggles is extremely important for your overall eye health.