Dry scalp is a condition you struggle with when your scalp has very little moisture or oil. Lack of moisture leads to irritation, and eventually, skin flakes falling off when you scratch. The best way to remedy this problem is by getting the best shampoo for dry scalp to use with other moisturizing products.
You may confuse dry scalp and dandruff, but the two are different and have different causes. While dry skin is caused by a lack of moisture, dandruff is caused by too much oil that prevents your skin from shedding.
Dry scalp can be triggered by a change in climate, a bad reaction to products you use on your hair or even age. The first thing you need to do to relieve dry scalp and dandruff is to use a moisturizing shampoo, then a moisturizing conditioner, and moisturizers.
These are the best shampoos for dry scalp to help with your dry, itchy scalp.
In a hurry?
This is our Winner!
Best Shampoo for Dry Scalp
Buy on Amazon
Best Shampoo for Dry Scalp - Reviews
This sulfate-free shampoo is best for people with dry hair and scalp. It is made with healthy ingredients such as jojoba oil and tea tree essential oil for natural dry scalp treatment. The formula does not contain sulfates, parabens, or other toxic ingredients.
It is your best shampoo for dry scalp if your hair looks brittle and your scalp has tiny flakes that indicate dryness. The oil base of this shampoo moisturizes the scalp while also smoothening the flakes so they can wash away easily.
The cleansing, clarifying, and hydrating shampoo is ideal for all hair types. It comes at an affordable price in an 8fl oz bottle.
This 16-ounce bottle of Neutrogena shampoo promises relief from dry scalp and itching. It is your best buy if you deal with scalp dryness or dandruff.
It is a powerful formula made with coal tar extract, which continues to work even after you rinse your hair. The formula relieves flaking and itching, thus relieving the symptoms of psoriasis and seborrheic dermatitis.
It is a dermatologist-tested and recommended formula designed to help restore your scalp health from the first use. It is suitable for all hair colors, types, and textures.
For best results, you should use this shampoo at least twice a week. Massage it into your scalp for a few minutes before rinsing.
This Nizoral shampoo will help eradicate the effects of dandruff and dry scalp. It is a powerful formula that contains ketoconazole 1%, an ingredient known to eradicate itchiness and flaking.
It is a gentle and safe shampoo that will leave your scalp feeling clean and moisturized. It is also clinically proven to fight dandruff with continued use. It will not damage colored, grey, or chemically processed hair.
The shampoo is good for men and women of all ages. The package includes a 7oz bottle of its formula.
This Head & Shoulders shampoo is enriched with almond oil to offer deep moisturization to a dry scalp. It is your best buy if you struggle with severe dry scalp and dandruff.
The formula has clarifying and volumizing capabilities, so not only will you eradicate flakes and scales, but you will also improve hair growth. The package is a twin pack at an affordable price so that you can stock up on the shampoo for prolonged use.
It is a powerful formula that works for different types of hair, including textured hair and curly hair. It is also available in different formulas using lemon extract, peppermint, and tea tree oil.
This Oribe shampoo is formulated with salicylic acid, a great ingredient for moisturizing and hydrating dry scalp. It is best for soothing dry scalp and hair to restore the best health and hair growth.
It is a dermatologist-tested shampoo that only contains healthy ingredients. It lacks sulfates, parabens, and even sodium chloride. It is best for any type of hair, including color-treated hair and keratin-treated hair.
It is also a cruelty-free, gluten-free, and vegan formula. Additionally, it offers UV protection, so your hair is not easily damaged by harsh climatic conditions. Lather it, indulge, and rinse it at least twice a week for the best hydrating results.
How to Determine if You Have a Dry Scalp
Before you buy the best shampoo for dry scalp, it would be best to understand what dry scalp is and its causes.
Dry scalp is a condition that occurs when your scalp and hair are not properly hydrated or moisturized. You will notice the signs of a dry scalp when you feel itchy and experience tiny flakes falling every time you scratch your head.
It is a condition that is quite similar to dandruff. However, dandruff is caused by excess oil, also called seborrheic dermatitis, which is a skin condition that results in your skin producing too much oil. When this happens, your scalp becomes red and scaly and produces large flakes if you scratch it.
A dry scalp can also cause dandruff in some environments as the dryness forces your oil glands to produce more oil to moisturize.
a) Major causes of a dry scalp
- Washing your hair too much. When you wash your hair excessively, you can strip the hair and scalp of natural oils it needs to self-moisturize. If this happens, you will experience severe dryness, and your hair can also become too brittle, so it breaks easily.
- Weather changes. If you get a dry scalp during the colder seasons, it is because the air lacks humidity. As such, your skin cannot produce as much oil as it needs to keep your skin nourished.
- Skin conditions. There are several skin conditions that leave you with a dry scalp, such as eczema and scalp psoriasis. In most cases, these symptoms can be relieved using treatment shampoos and creams. It is best to consult your dermatologist for the best dry scalp treatment.
- Using harsh products on your hair. Very strong hair products or those containing harsh ingredients can cause contact dermatitis, an allergic reaction that happens after you use some products. To prevent this in the future, it is best to know which product or ingredient caused the allergy, then avoid any shampoos or hair products that have it.
Once you are sure you are dealing with a dry scalp, it is best to invest in the best shampoo for dry scalp as the first step to a moisturizing hair care routine.
Features to Look For in The Best Shampoo for Dry Skin
Just like other beauty products, you need to understand which shampoos work best for your dry scalp. A good shampoo for a dry, itchy scalp needs to come with the best ingredients to moisturize and soothe your scalp. The following are factors you need to consider as you buy the best shampoo for dry scalp.
a) Active ingredients
If you want to maintain a healthy scalp, you need to use shampoos that come with any of the following soothing active ingredients.
- Coal tar. It is a great ingredient that actively slows the growth of new skin cells. It is an important measure when you want to reduce scaling and flake on your scalp. If the skin cells are not regenerating fast, your skin will get a chance to self-moisturize by producing more oil.
- Salicylic acid. It is an essential ingredient if you already shed flakes and your skin has scales. The ingredient removes scaling and moisturizes your scalp to eliminate flakes efore they fully form.
- Oil bases. If you have severe dry scalp, it would be most helpful to use an oil-based shampoo to improve your condition. Most oil-based shampoos contain tea tree oil, coconut oil, jojoba oil, almond oil, and many more. These shampoos rejuvenate your skin cells to reduce flaking and scaling.
- Ingredients present in dandruff shampoos. Because a dry scalp can lead to dandruff, it would also be great to consider some of the active anti-fungal ingredients found in dandruff shampoos. They include Ketoconazole, Selenium sulfide, and Pyrithione zinc. They all reduce the fungus that leads to excess scaling and itching.
Additionally, avoid all shampoos with parabens, sulfates, and sodium chloride as they are strong ingredients that can make your dryness worse.
b) Your hair type
Different dry scalp shampoos work best for different hair types. Remember the following factors before you buy your best shampoos.
- Curly hair and dreadlocks. Clear dry scalp shampoos are better for people with dreadlocks and kinky hair. These types of hair require more rinsing, so using a clear shampoo makes the process easier. Additionally, look for hydrating and moisturizing shampoos as they will add shine.
- Color-treated hair. If you have dyed your hair, examine the ingredients list and manufacturer recommendations to ensure the shampoo will not discolor your hair. Some ingredients such as coal tar can alter your blond or grey hair dye.
- Straight hair. When buying the best dry scalp shampoo for straight hair, look for one with smoothening ingredients that will help seal the cuticle for healthier hair strands.
- Brittle or damaged hair. When looking to nourish a dry scalp with damaged hair, it is best to pick a shampoo with fortifying and strengthening ingredients such as proteins.
c) Your budget
When buying the best shampoo for dry scalp, your budget is of big significance. Most shampoos are available at friendly prices, but not so much when you need very specific ingredients.
Different shampoo brands offer their dry scalp shampoos with different ingredients. An anti-dandruff shampoo containing natural ingredients such as oils and essential oils is bound to cost more than a shampoo with harsh ingredients like sulphates and parabens.
This article shares the best shampoos for your dry and itchy scalp. They come at different affordable prices, so you are sure to find one in your budget range.
Frequently Asked Questions ( FAQs) About the Best Shampoos for Dry, Itchy Scalp
a) Is a dry scalp a serious health problem?
In most cases, a dry scalp only indicates poorly moisturized skin and can be remedied by using hydrating shampoos, conditioners, and hair oils.
b) Which is the best shampoo for a dry scalp?
The best dry scalp shampoo contains ingredients that moisturize and smoothen your scalp to rid it of itchiness, scales, and flakes.
c) What are other ways to get rid of a dry scalp?
After using the best shampoos and conditioners for dry scalp, you also need to apply a good scalp oil, serum, or cream to keep it hydrated. Apply moisturizer daily for best results.
d) What do I do if I have an extremely dry scalp?
If your condition persists even after using the best hair care product, it would be best to consult with your doctor or dermatologist on the best mode of treatment. Sometimes, your dry scalp could indicate a skin condition or another underlying problem.