You might be dealing with acne, and even after dealing with the acne, the acne scars might remain behind. With the best serum for acne scars, you can manage to eliminate the scars, dark spots, and redness at last. Serums are formulated specifically to deliver high-potent actives to the skin daily, meaning you get the best final results. Also, serum can help fade the discoloration of scars to achieve a general clearer complexion.
What Are Acne Scars?
Acne is a skin condition caused by hair follicles being clogged with dead skin cells and oil. It's usually characterized by red pimples on the skin, mainly due to infected or inflamed sebaceous glands. Acne scars, therefore, result from acne inflammation, where the pigment-producing cells get overactive, leaving behind acne scars and spots. Although some acne scars and spots are small and will heal quickly, some usually spill into the tissues or surrounding area, resulting in deeper scars.
Now that we know what acne scars are let's check out the best serums for acne scars. Read more!
In a hurry?
This is our Winner!
Best Inflatable Hot Tub
Buy on Amazon
Best Inflatable Hot Tub - Reviews
TruSkin Vitamin C Brightening Serum comes with a combination of hydrating ingredients: hyaluronic acid, jojoba oil, Vitamin C and E. The serum is also made with witch hazel to help calm inflammation and tighten pores. Also, not only does this product help brighten your skin, but it also fades acne scars, dark spots, and signs of aging. With the ingredients, this serum also gives your skin a boost of moisture that helps enhance radiance, especially for radiant skin.
The serum has no synthetic colors, parabens, fragrances, sulfates, phthalates, GMOs, or PEGs. Besides, you can use it for a day or night skin routine. The serum has anti-aging properties, a big plus for anyone who wants to get rid of wrinkles. Moreover, this skincare product will leave your skin smooth if you continuously use it. It's worth mentioning that the manufacturer offers a 90-day money-back refund if the serum is not a good fit for your skin.
Besides being one of the top best options for preventing and treating acne, the Differin Acne Treatment Gel for the face is also one of the best products for acne scarring. The Differin Gel contains retinoids that are ideal for enhancing collagen production, decreasing sebum production, and increasing cell turnover. As a result, it clears breakouts where they start and prevents new acne from forming, restoring skin tone and texture. Additionally, it's made with hydroquinone 2% to fade acne scars and hyperpigmentation gradually.
Differin Gel will help restore and strengthen your damaged skin by enhancing the skin texture and tone. Compared to other treatments, it effectively targets two main causes of acne, inflammation and clogged pores, clearing the pores and normalizing the skin cell turnover. Also, the product contains adapalene compared to other prescription retinoid products that don't contain adapalene. Therefore, it's suitable for use as part of your morning or evening routine.
The product for acne scars has a safe water-based formula. It is oil-free, aluminum-free, fragrance-free, alcohol-free, which usually works best, particularly if you're looking forward to reducing the chances of having acne scars and hyperpigmentation. In addition, we can't forget to mention that you will witness visible results in less than three months of continuous use.
Korean Skin Care K Serum is ideal for dark spots, acne scars, and hyperpigmentation. Most users praise this serum for the best results. The serum has high potency that helps visibly rejuvenate your skin, and you will see results within three weeks when you use it daily. Moreover, there is no need to cocktail anything with the Korean Skin Care K Serum, which sinks in well while cushioned with hyaluronic acid.
The serum is proven to help reduce the appearance of acne scars, wrinkles, crows, feet, and fine lines. Also, it helps fade sunspots as well as is guaranteed to offer you a brighter, more youthful complexion. Furthermore, the serum helps shrink pores, prevent breakouts, clear up acne.
LilyAna Naturals Vitamin C Face Serum is the solution to your acne scars problems. The serum has high potency that helps visibly rejuvenate and enhance dull, tired, lackluster skin as well as encourage collagen production and skin elasticity. Also, it delivers potent antioxidants for radiant skin. The serum is formulated with vitamin C and E, horsetail, MSM, Dandelion, Aloe Vera Juice, and wild Geranium extracts also contains Jojoba Oil and 5 percent Botanical hyaluronic acid, which promote moisture retention in the skin.
The water-based Vitamin C serum immediately absorbs your skin and is non-comedogenic and safe for virtually all skin types, including standard, dry, oily, and mature ones. We recommend you to wear it morning and night for overall protection against environmental aggressors. It's worth mentioning that the serum has no fragrances or colors and is free of phthalates, SLS, petroleum, and gluten.
Factors to Consider Before Buying the Best Serums for Acne Scars
1. Skin types and skin tone
Before settling for the best serum for acne scars, you need to know your skin type since different serums are specifically designed for different skin types. Therefore, people with dry skin should avoid alcohol serums and hydrating ingredients like aloe, oils, glycerin, and silicones such as dimethicone.
If you have oily skin, we recommend serums that give a matte finish. Gel or lighter serums such as isododecane or silica will make you less shiny. Conversely, hypoallergenic and fragrance-free are usually the best serums for those with sensitive skin. Also, serums with titanium dioxide and zinc oxide are great.
Since you are looking for serums for acne scars, they're divided into three skin types; normal, oily skin, dry or sensitive skin. So, it's best to go for serums that treat acne and looks for ingredients with anti-inflammatory properties such as azelaic acid, salicylic acid, ceramides, beta hydroxy acids, alpha hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, glycolic acid, and lactic acid.
2. Active ingredients
When shopping for the best serum for acne scars and blackheads, as we mentioned, considering the active ingredients is essential. When formulated into a correcting serum, many different ingredients could help in managing acne. So, it's advisable to know what they're and how they work:
- Retinol, a vitamin A derivative, is not only an anti-aging ingredient since it increases skin cell turnover, according to Dr. Gohara, a board-certified dermatologist. However, its powerful nature usually makes it potentially irritating; therefore, you are recommended to use it once a day at night. Also, if you want to use serums with retinol as the active ingredient, we recommend you consult your doctor first for a prescription. Moreover, you can go for antioxidant vitamins such as Vitamin Cor E, which usually help remove dead skin cells and is an excellent option for active acne.
- Hydroxy acids are usually beta hydroxy acids (BHA) like salicylic acid and alpha hydroxy acids (AHA) like lactic and glycolic that unclog the pores and exfoliate the skin's top layer, respectively. Also, they enhance collagen production and skin cell turnover, treating post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. However, if overused, they can cause the skin to dry out. We recommend you use it once a day, at night.
- Benzoyl peroxide is an effective acne-fighting and dark spots ingredient that usually delivers oxygen to the skin pores, killing the acne-causing bacteria. Also, it's an anti-inflammatory and will help you deal with inflammation and redness.
- Lactic acid usually peels gently to pull away dead skin cells to reduce breakouts and the appearance of acne scars. Additionally, the lactic acid will help lighten dark scar tissue and enhance your skin texture.
- Hyaluronic acid usually hydrates skin that's dried out or irritated by excessive treatment.
- Niacinamide, (a form of vitamin B3) is usually anti-inflammatory, and according to Ava Shamban, M.D, a board-certified dermatologist, it works on tenderness, pimples, and redness. Also, helps balance your skin's oil production. And since it's a less irritating ingredient, you can use it morning and night.
- Vitamin C ingredient is an antioxidant that usually helps even skin tone as well as fades acne scarring. Dr. Gohara recommends using a brightening serum with vitamin C as the active ingredient daily in the morning, then apply sunscreen.
3. Soothing properties
Soothing properties are equally essential when looking for the best serum for acne scars, especially if you have sensitive skin. It will help with irritation and inflammation, and if you have dark marks, pitted scars, dark circles, or uneven skin tone, these properties will significantly help fade them. We, therefore, recommend buying serums with Aloe Vera, Green tea, and tea tree oil extracts since they have soothing properties.
When buying a skincare product, it's wise to check the price and brand. Although most skincare products are usually affordable, the price might vary depending on the quality and brand. Considering the brand is also essential, especially if you have acne-prone skin; you don't want products that mess your face. A reliable brand usually indicates the ingredients and the side effects of the product. Also, we recommend you check out the customer reviews before settling for the best serums for acne scars.
What are the Common Types of acne scars?
There are various types of acne scars, and according to Marisa Garshick, MD, a board-certified dermatologist in New York City, acne scarring presents as:
This might be red or brown discoloration.
2. Depressed scars
Also referred to as atrophic scars;
- Rolling scars-These scars are broad depressions with a rolling appearance and round edges. Tropical acne treatment has limited rolling scars while treating acne scars, though severe acne can leave scars that need microneedling and chemical peed to finish the scarring.
- Boxcar scars-usually shallow with sharp edges. Also, have a U-shape
- Ice pick scars-usually narrow and deep. Also, have V-shape.
3. Raised scars
Also referred to as keloidal, or hypertrophic, scars. They're familiar with back and chest acne.
4. Dark spots
This acne type involves discoloration that's left behind after zit clears out.
How to Get the Most Out of the Best Serum for Acne Scars
You might need to make other changes to your skincare routine besides using these acne scar serum products.
1. Cleanse and moisturize
Garshick advises that it's best to cleanse before applying any topical or leave-on products and apply moisturizer afterward unless directed otherwise. Also, she recommends applying a thin layer and avoiding using different harsh active ingredients at once since it might lead to dryness and heightened sensitivity.
2. Avoid over-applying
The number of applications will depend on the type of product you're using. Some serums are meant to be used daily, while others should only be used a few times a week. Garshick usually warns to avoid applying too much product at once. This routine will help reduce irritation or dryness. Besides, if you have sensitive skin, it is best to use one product at a time.
3. Use sunscreen
Garshick recommends using sunscreen daily for added protection. Although some topical treatments may be handy in lightening the marks, the marks can darken again with unprotected direct sun exposure.
4. Consult your doctor
If you are pregnant, ensure you consult your doctor about which serums are safe to use and which you need to avoid.
Frequently Asked Questions on the Best Serum for Acne Scars?
1. Is vitamin C serum ideal for acne scars?
Vitamin C serum has properties that usually reduce dark spots and acne scarring without changing the skin color. Besides, using vitamin C serums with other brightening agents such as iontophoresis can improve the results significantly. In addition, it enhances the appearance of acne scars.
2. Can serum actually cause pimples?
Sometimes serums can cause pimples, so we recommend you proceed with caution. According to Dr. Green, serum can lead to breakouts, mainly if you use the wrong one for your skin type.
3. How long does vitamin C serum take to fade acne scars?
This potent antioxidant usually interferes with the production of pigment in your skin, fading the dark spots. Once you add vitamin C serum to your skincare routine, you might start seeing noticeable improvements in just three weeks.