Choosing the best drugstore foundation will not be an easy task because the market is flooded with high-quality ones. You've probably learned about the many options available and even spent hours on YouTube watching endless makeup tutorials to give you a better idea of which foundation to purchase.
One aspect of makeup appliance you always want to get right is to get a foundation that matches your skin tone. A few years back, you would have needed a makeup professional to teach you which foundation would hide all your imperfections and still look as natural as possible. Nowadays, drugstore formulas provide the best results without breaking the bank looking for a makeup expert.
Here is a list of the best drugstore foundations you may buy this year.
1. Best Drugstore Foundation: L'Oréal Paris Infallible Pro-Matte Liquid Longwear Foundation Makeup
- L'OREAL PARIS INFALLIBLE PRO MATTE FOUNDATION: Lightweight and creamy,...
- AIR LIGHT MATTE FINISH LIQUID FOUNDATION MAKEUP: For a matte finish...
- THE MAKEUP FOUNDATION OF YOUR LOOK: From natural to full coverage,...
- BECAUSE YOU'RE WORTH IT: L'Oreal Paris Makeup helps you create the...
- PERFECT TO PAIR WITH: L'Oreal Paris Infallible Pro Matte Lock Long...
A foundation you have to try at least, this L'Oréal Paris Infallible foundation ranks high in popularity; nearly all YouTube makeup tutorials have featured it at one point. It is a creamy, lightweight formula with a demi-matte finish to last you a whole day.
Available in 28 different shades, this foundation is suitable for most skin tones. You can get it for medium to full coverage. Apply the foundation gently with your fingers in a rolling motion, starting at the center of your face and on to your jawline and hairline.
For an exceptional look, use the foundation with a full L'Oréal package; a primer, concealer, mascara, and eyeliner, all available on Amazon at affordable prices.
- It gives you a 24-hour matte finish that won't fall flat.
- Available in 28 shades.
- Transfer resistant
- Natural to full coverage.
- It may make skin look dry.
- No Sun Protection Factor (SPF)
- It may not be suitable for extra oily skin.
- Not enough shades for dark skin tones.
2. Maybelline New York Dream Satin Liquid Foundation
- Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid Foundation, formerly Maybelline Dream...
- Achieve the look of completely poreless skin with a smooth airbrushed...
- This liquid foundation with hyaluronic acid delivers cake-free,...
- Suitable for All Skin Types and Sensitive Skin - this lightweight and...
- Ultra smooth, creamy foundation conceals lines for a look of...
One of the best products from Maybelline New York, this foundation comes with extra benefits such as hydration and closing pores. It is a lightweight, breathable, and hydrating medium coverage foundation, and your ideal choice if you have sensitive, acne-prone skin. Containing the all-day moisturizing hyaluronic acid, you will be left with smooth and soft skin, with all your blemishes and scars properly hidden.
Shake before use, and apply in a rolling motion from the center of your face using your fingers. Use with a primer, concealer, and mascara for the ultimate, celebrity-like look.
- Contains a hydrating serum.
- Offers medium coverage.
- Moisturizes skin.
- Hides acne scars and blemishes.
- Ideal for sensitive skin.
- Not a wide range of shades.
- Not ideal for oily skin.
- Relatively affordable.
3. Revlon PhotoReady Candid Natural Finish Foundation
- NATURAL FINISH, LIGHTWEIGHT FEEL: This smooth, creamy foundation goes...
- MEDIUM COVERAGE THAT IS BUILDABLE: Pump a dab on your fingers or use a...
- PROTECTS SKIN WITH GOOD FOR YOU INGREDIENTS: Shields against...
- 31 SHADES TO FIT YOUR SKIN TONE: Shades for different skin tones,...
- LIVE BOLDLY WITH REVLON MAKEUP: Revlon has the high-quality,...
As the name suggests, this drugstore foundation gets you photo ready in the easiest, most affordable way. It is a lightweight, natural coverage finish, and moisturizing foundation. Its creamy formula functions as a moisturizer, and it contains extra ingredients that protect your skin from environmental damage like pollution, oxidative damage, and blue light damage. It is an oil-free, paraben-free, phthalates, dyes, and fragrance-free foundation.
With a whole range of 31 shades, this foundation is good for many skin tones, from light-skinned to dark-skinned and all undertones. To apply, prime your face and then add a concealer. Next, gently apply the foundation, and finish off a great look with a Revlon setting powder.
- An anti-pollutant, meaning it protects the skin from pollution.
- Free of parabens, oil, harsh dyes, fragrances, or phthalates.
- Natural, buildable coverage.
- Moisturizes the skin.
- Available in many shades for all skin tones.
- Lasts all day.
- Great for sensitive skin.
- Features a convenient pump dispenser.
- Easy to apply.
- Can look patchy where you need to hide spots.
4. Wet n Wild Photo Focus Foundation
- High-performing, skin-perfecting foundation tested under seven...
- Featuring a light-adjusting complex that stays selfie-perfect anytime,...
- Breakthrough formula featuring light-adjusting complex to help prevent...
- Color matched for all undertones with a matte, second-skin finish-soft...
This foundation is strategically formulated to give you a perfect skin look with its high-performing ingredients. To prove its effectiveness, the foundation was applied and tested under different photo-lighting conditions, and every time, the photo revealed flawless makeup photos. It is the ideal foundation you should use whenever you want to take amazing selfies.
One of the best matte foundations in this price range, it is long-lasting and moisturizing. Available in 20 shades matching virtually all skin undertones, you are sure to find a high-quality foundation to use.
- Great for oily skin.
- Moisturizes skin.
- Perfect for photos and selfies.
- Labeled as cruelty-free.
- Relatively affordable for its quality.
- Available in many shades.
- The thick formula may not appease everyone.
- Not suitable for dry skin.
- Has an unpleasant fragrance.
- It can cause dry patches without a moisturizing primer.
- Shades can be a bit confusing.
5. NYX Professional Makeup: Can't Stop, Won't Stop Full Coverage Foundation
- Matte Liquid Foundation: Lightweight, waterproof and highly pigmented,...
- Long Lasting: Every creamy liquid shade glides on smooth, delivering...
- Face From Foundation To Finish: Complete your makeup look with our...
- Face From Foundation To Finish: Complete your makeup look with our...
- Cruelty Free Cosmetics: We believe animals belong in our arms, not in...
From the NYX Professional Makeup brand comes this matte finish, full-coverage liquid foundation. Easily a gift for its price range, this matte foundation boasts 45 shades to serve all skin undertones from cool to neutral undertones.
It is a waterproof and non-comedogenic foundation that will keep your skin looking flawless all day long. It is ideal for all skin types. Like other makeup products from this brand, this foundation is certified and acknowledged by PETA as cruelty-free; they don't test on or use animals at any stage of production or selling.
For that flawless, 24-hour matte look, apply this foundation with other NYW Professional Makeup products. First, prep your skin with a primer, then add a contour and concealer. Next, apply the foundation shade of your choice, and finish off with the brand's setting powder available in six shades.
- High-quality foundation at an affordable price.
- Cruelty-free production.
- Matte finish.
- Full coverage.
- Suitable for oily skin.
- Transfer resistant.
- 45 shades to choose from.
- Easy to apply.
- Hard to remove/ clean.
- Not ideal for dry skin.
- Shades may be a little confusing for different skin tones.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Your Best Drugstore Foundation
Still not which drugstore foundation is best for you? Choosing just one out of this list is hard, but not impossible. It would help if you considered a few personal factors before settling on one, and maybe when you narrow down your needs, you will find your ideal foundation.
1. Your skin type
It takes a great makeup fan to know everything about their skin, but not knowing will negatively affect how your makeup results turn out. These are things you should know or consult an expert on about your skin.
a). How oily it is
As you have seen on the above list, some drugstore foundations are ideal for oily skin types, while others are better for dry skin types. There are four standard types of healthy skin, namely;
- Normal skin type defines a well-balanced skin, neither too oily or too dry.
- Dry skin is the type of skin that produces less sebum than normal skin, thus lacking enough lipids to retain moisture or build a protective shield. It looks dull, tight, and dry.
- Oily skin is the complete opposite of dry, a skin type that produces excess sebum, thus appearing shinier with visibly open pores.
- A combination skin defines a skin type that has different textures throughout the face. For instance, this skin could be oily on the chin, normal on cheeks, yet dry on the forehead.
These four skin types require different products to maintain their health. Knowing how oily your skin is is an important guide when buying a foundation. For instance, if you have oily skin, you are better off using a full-coverage matte foundation. If you have dry skin, a hydrating foundation such as the Maybelline New York Satin Dream Liquid Foundation is an ideal choice.
b). Your Shade
Picking the right shade for your foundation is important. When buying your best foundation, consult how accurate the foundation's undertones are and how they compare to your skin undertone. Your skin undertone is the color that is visible just underneath the surface of your skin. The following are the three types of undertones you should know;
- Warm undertones have peach to golden appearances.
- Cool undertones range from pinks to bluish hues.
- Neutral undertones are very similar to your actual skin tone.
2. Your ideal coverage
You determine your ideal coverage based on the type of makeup you intend to wear, the length of time you intend to have your make up on, and the activities you will carry out.
If you wear very light makeup, you will need a very light and breathable foundation. If you fancy wearing a good amount of makeup, and you want to keep it on throughout the day, a full coverage foundation is your ideal choice. If you are after a few hours of heavy makeup, try a medium coverage foundation.
Are you prone to ugly breakouts? If yes, chances are you will need a light foundation you can use together with a concealer to hide those pesky spots and blemishes. If you choose a thick cream for a foundation, you might end up with unflattering patches where you use more to hide spots.
4. Seasons or travel
Yes, different weather conditions affect your skin's appearance. Think of the summer and how your skin tans? Or how you become lighter in cold seasons? You adopt a completely different shade regardless of your skin color.
When buying a foundation, check your calendar first to know where you will be using the foundation. If you are traveling to a place with a different climate, buy a foundation that will be ideal for your shade when there.